Monday, June 07, 2010

Pear Walnut and Caramel Cakes

I have a new best friend called Cajeta and it comes in a ten ounce jar.

Cajeta© by haalo


Cajeta is a Mexican milk caramel and while you can make it yourself, I've found quite a tasty and somewhat addictive source while shopping at Casa Iberica. While eating it by the spoonful straight from the jar is fairly satisfying, it's probably a better idea to incorporate it in some form of cooking and that is exactly how these little cakes came to be.

Taking inspiration from jam filled muffins, these cakes have a batter that include pear and walnuts and in the center, a hidden caramel heart.

pear, walnut and caramel cakes© by Haalo


Pear, Walnut and Caramel Cakes
[Makes 18 small cakes or 1 large cake]

300 grams plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
50 grams caster sugar
1 large pear, cored, peeled and diced
60 grams walnuts, roughly chopped
60 grams butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
250mls milk
Cajeta



Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar together into a large bowl. Tumble in the pear and walnut pieces and toss through.

Lightly whisk the eggs with the milk - pour this into the dry ingredients, along with the cooled, melted butter and stir until just combined.

If making one large, pour half the batter into the cake tin and then drizzle with Cajeta. Top with the rest of the cake batter.

If making small cakes - half fill cupcake cases with batter, make an indentation in the center, then fill it with cajeta. Top with a spoonful of batter.

Bake in a preheated 170°C oven until cooked through and golden - for small cakes about 15 to 20 minutes, for a large cake 45 to 60 minutes.

Let the cakes cool before unmoulding.

7 comments

  1. A caramel heart? Yeah, I could get used to that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooooooooow !!! Those looks super scrumptious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fantastic idea for caramel - I would be tempted to eat it straight from the jar but like you say that isn't always in my best interest - probably just as well I don't go to casa iberica often

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana - LebanonJune 10, 2010

    i have to say, your blog is my guilty pleasure! you constantly post amazing recipes, and quite honestly, i tried many of them and they turned out great!!
    i noticed that you sometimes dabble with lebanese cuisine, so if you ever have any question about any of our recipes, i'll be more than happy to oblige.
    Diana from Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow....those sound amazing!! and I would probably be there with you eating it out of the jar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 16, 2010

    Halo, I just love your blog. I refer to it each time I have a dinner party....and always tell my guests where I get my fabulous recipes from.

    I would love to know where you get your cute cupcake paper pans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So can I Marisa!

    Thanks Priya!

    Casa Iberica is very dangerous Johanna ;)

    Thanks so much Diana - I will certainly keep you in mind!

    Thanks Dennis - I've got a spare jar!

    Thanks Anon, happy to hear the recipes have been a success - I get most of the cupcake cases from Essential Ingredient, not sure if that helps

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig