Monday, March 27, 2006

Pea & Haloumi Fritters

Zucchini & Haloumi Fritters are a somewhat classical combination so when the latest issue of Delicious popped into my letterbox, their recipe for Pea & Haloumi Fritters caught my eye. Besides using a different green vegetable they have treated the haloumi differently - it's not grated but cubed. I must also admit the photos certainly had me salivating - so enough of the preamble, let's get cooking.

pea and haloumi fritters© by haalo

Pea & Haloumi Fritters

250g frozen peas
½ cup milk
2 eggs
30g cornflour
100g plain flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
250g haloumi cheese, cut into 1cm cubes
1 tablespoon mint, plus extra to serve
olive oil, to shallow fry

Boil the peas in salted water for 2 minutes, then drain. Rinse under cold water then drain again. Puree half until smooth.

Whisk milk, eggs, flours, baking powder and pureed peas in a bowl, then fold in remaining peas, haloumi, mint, salt and pepper.

Heat olive oil in non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add tablespoons of the mixture to the pan in batches, pressing down to flatten slightly and fry 2-3 minutes or until golden on both sides. Drain on paper towels.

pea and haloumi fritters© by haalo

The only thing I would probably change would be to dice the cheese a little smaller then the recipe suggests. They are quite tasty and morish and would also be suitable as finger food (just make smaller fritters).

pea and haloumi fritters© by haalo

15 comments

  1. Yum, I saw this recipe too & was wondering if I should give it a go or not, think you have sold me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ange

    It's a good recipe (makes a really nice lunch) but I would use a smaller dice of haloumi - I'm thinking it also be nice with chunks of bocconcini and basil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I having been searching this house high and low for the Pea and Haloumi Fritter recipe that I too pulled out of Delicious, but couldn’t find it. But you’ve saved our dinner tonight. Love the blog filing system. I was going to put the recipe up on my blog, but no need... They're great, aren't they?

    Thanks again,

    Kes
    http://eatingyear.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kes
    I'm happy to have helped and you're right, they are indeed delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Monica - Thanks so much! There's some nice photos to come when I finally hit Italy.

    These were really tasty and the adaptation with basil and bocconcini turned out great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to make these this week, and I'm wondering about grating the haloumi.

    Lovely blog, one of the nicest I've seen. And you can spell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Anon - glad you are enjoying the blog! There shouldn't be any problems with grating the haloumi, in fact that is the more usual way of making these types of fritters. Do let me know how they turn out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finally got round to making these with the grated haloumi. They were superb, smooth but with the characteristic texture of the cheese.

    I find so many fritter recipes look wonderful but end up being a disappointment. Not these I'm happy to say. I only made 1/2 quantity but have some left to reheat. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pietro - that's excellent! So happy to know you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi

    I love these fritters they are delicious! Great in summer with a simple salad

    Fritter fan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks A3 - glad to hear you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh i remember these beautiful fritters! i might have to make these stat! i have some fresh fava beans i could use mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh i did it, made them and they are fantastic!!! thanks Haalo for the beeeautiful recipe. i posted them up on me blog and linked to you too :):)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much Aria - your version sounds and looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  15. these fritters were a favourite with my teenage boys. I served them with sweet chilli source, and slightly fried the haloumi before adding to the fritter mix. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig